Who are we?
- Miller Bros & F P Butler Ltd. 119 Bargates, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 2DQ Registered Company Number 603736
- We are registered as a data controller with the ICO Commissioner with registration number A8285935.
What information do we collect from you?
Full Name, Address, Phone numbers, Email addresses, Relationship to deceased,Video footage from our carpark.
- The personal data we collect will be used for the following purposes
- To reply to enquiries about our services
- For the professional fulfilment of the funeral service as instructed by you including working with third parties on your behalf
- For the account and full payment of the funeral service
- For your pre-paid funeral plan if applicable and instructed by you
- We keep details of funerals on file so we have a record for future reference; e.g. if the family gets in touch in the future and asks for a similar funeral.
- We use Closed Circuit TV for security purposes in our car park.
Why do we collect this Information
Our legal bases for processing for the personal data are:
- Taking steps at your request prior to entering into a contract with you.
- Performance of the contract to provide funeral services as instructed by you.
- Our legitimate interests in confirming our clients will be able to pay for our services.
- Our legitimate interests in being able to provide a similar funeral to a previous one on request by the family without having to ask too many questions at a difficult time for the family.
- Our legitimate interests in maintaining security at our premises, especially for the human remains in our care.
What do we do with this information?
- We contact you to assist with funeral enquiries and arrange the funeral.
- We make funeral arrangements with third party suppliers.
- We arrange funeral plans on your behalf with Golden Charter.
We will process your personal data to achieve the above purposes as follows:
To share your data from your original enquiry made to us either by phone, online website form, email, paper letter or in person, or a third party source, with our colleagues in order to assist you with a funeral enquiry including the removal of the deceased
- To store your data along with the deceased information on our Management system indefinitely in case of future historical reference to funeral details is required such as the provision of exhumation, repeat of family services, plot information etc.
- To contact you by phone, email and paper communications to be able to make all the necessary funeral arrangements on your behalf
- To visit you if you instruct us to your home address or mutually convenient place in order to make the funeral arrangements
- If funeral arrangements are made in person at our Office, CCTV is in operation for security purposes and we will keep these recordings for 3 months in case of future security breaches.
- To pass on your details to our third party suppliers; including if applicable the crematorium or cemetery, minister or celebrant, doctors, florist, musician, venues, newspaper in the case of an obituary, online memorial site in the case of an online memorial being set up, hired in bearing and temporary staff, catering venues, etc.
- To pass on your details to Golden Charter if you apply for a pre-paid Golden Charter Plan or make a pre-pad funeral plan enquiry
- To keep the full details until the account has been paid in full. Thereafter, details are kept securely in a locked place and in electronic copy in our Management System on our secure server.
- To pass on your details to our debt collection agency if the payment terms are not met.
- To contact you to make arrangements for return of the deceased’s cremated remains to you or as instructed by you elsewhere.
Who might we share your information with?
- Our third party suppliers; e.g. the crematorium or cemetery, minister or celebrant, doctors, florist, musician, venues, newspaper for obituary, online memorial site, hired in bearers and temporary staff, catering venues, etc.
- Golden Charter to arrange a funeral plan.
Miller Bros & F P Butler Ltd will not pass on your personal data to third parties without first obtaining your consent to our instructing them to provide the particular service required. The following third parties may receive your personal data for the following purpose(s):
- Doctor(s) if medical certification is required/applicable
- An embalmer for the deceased if required/applicable
- Local crematorium for the purpose of organising cremation of the deceased
- Local cemetery for the purpose of organising burial of the deceased
- A nominated minister or celebrant for the purpose of arranging details of the funeral service
- A local musician for the purpose of liaising with you for your musical choices for the funeral service
- A florist(s) for the purpose of arranging the flowers for the funeral service
- A venue(s) for the purpose of holding the reception as part of the funeral service
- A caterer for the purpose of arranging the details of the funeral reception
- A vehicle hire company or transportation agency including the provision of horses for the purpose of transport of the deceased and cortege at the funeral
- A printer or designer if creating the funeral service sheets externally to Miller Bros
- Memory Giving memorial site if providing an online tribute page for the deceased
- Golden Charter if an application or enquiry for a pre-paid funeral plan is made
How long do we keep your information?
- We keep records of funerals indefinitely in case the family contact us again in the future.
Miller Bros & F P butler ltd will process personal data for up to three months after you contact us or the date of the funeral/for as long as is necessary to allow us to fulfil your funeral services and will securely store the personal data indefinitely so we have a record of the funeral for the purposes stated above.
CCTV footage of visitors is retained for 3 months before being recorded over, unless an incident is being investigated
How can I access the information you hold about me?
Your rights as a data subject
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to object to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling. We do not carry out automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review: in the event that Miller Bros & F P butler Ltd refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. You have the right to complain as outlined below.
All of the above requests will be forwarded on should there be a third party involved in the processing of your personal data.
Please note that the above legal rights apply to the personal data we hold about you, as a living person, rather than any data relating to the deceased.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by Miller Bros & F P Butler Ltd, or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint with us or directly with the supervisory authority.